Sunday, February 3, 2013

Let Us Now Praise Bobby Sutliff



One of the major  privileges of my law practice has been the opportunity to work with some great artists who are also exemplary people and though many of these folks come to mind, I am thinking today of Bobby Sutliff, Tim Lee (and Tim's partner in crime Susan Bauer Lee).  Meeting Bobby and Tim back in the late 1980s was a revelation.  Not only did they play the kind of music that I love ("jangly guitar pop" as it was called back then – smart guitars, with intelligent lyrics and did I mention guitars?).  The bonus was discovering that these guys were funny as hell.  Tim and Bobby became fast friends. My conversations with Bobby increased my knowledge of music exponentially.

                I was a fan of their together records as the Windbreakers (they were the kings of flannel) and especially Bobby's first solo album "Only Ghosts Remain" as well as Tim's two records on Coyote.  To my mind, these were among  the best of that era.  Bobby and Tim are both gifted songwriters. They both continue to make music and Tim has now partnered with his wife Susan to form the Tim Lee 3.

                Last summer Bobby was involved in a near fatal automobile accident.  I don't know all the details but I do know that he seems to have made a substantial recovery.  Like many musicians (hell, like most people) the medical bills have been challenging and  with Tim leading the charge, Bobby's friends have rallied together to raise money for him in the best possible way, by recording an album featuring his extraordinary songs. The proceeds will benefit Bobby and help him with his medical bills.  Among the performers donating their talents on the album "SKRANG – Sounds Like Bobby Sutliff" are Velvet Crush, John Stirratt from Wilco and the Autumn Defense, Matt Piucci, Peter Holsapple, Russ Tolman and my buddies Bill Lloyd and Will Kimbrough.  There's some great music on this disc and it's for a great cause.  This also serves as a fine introduction to the songs of Bobby Sutliff.  You can order the CD from Paisley Pop Music: http://www.paisleypop.com/store/

No comments: