Thursday, January 17, 2013

Copyright Law in 9 Hours



For a number of years, in addition to my law practice, I have taught in the music business program of a local university.  I find the work both challenging and fun. For a long time, I taught Copyright Law during the fall semester and Music Industry law during the spring semester. A couple of years ago, the school asked me to combine the two classes. I thought that this might be impossible. How do you condense a whole semester of copyright law into a few short hours?  After a great deal of trial and error, I think I figured out how to distill the important aspects of copyright law for future music industry professionals into what amounts to about eight or nine hours.



Here’s what I came up with. If there are any copyright gurus reading this, let me know what you think I’m leaving out.

  

Week One -   INTRODUCTION / DISCUSSION OF COPYRIGHT LAW

1.            Introduction to Copyright Law

2.            Copyright Definitions



Week Two -   1.         Exclusive Rights in Copyright

2.         Duration / Termination

3.         Begin discussion of Copyright Infringement



Week Three    1.        Copyright Infringement - continued

 2.        Fair Use

No comments: