Thursday, September 22, 2011

My Netflix Rant


As if raising their prices exorbitantly overnight and then by way of apology (after losing more than one million subscribers) announcing that they were splitting the company into two separate services, (i.e. one for tradition mail delivery of DVDs and one for the streaming service- with two different websites, pricing plans and billings), Netflix has now taken corporate insensitivity to a new level.

In reviewing a Customer Satisfaction Survey I received from the company last week, I came across a question that innocently asked me to identify other ways I received movies for home viewing. The drop down menu identified such obvious services as Redbox, Blockbuster, HBO, Showtime, etc. and then in the last position, it asked me if I ever illegally download movies by Torrent or similar application.

If I was illegally downloading films (which I’m not) would I implicate myself? Think of such questions as “have you stopped beating your wife yet?” or “are you now or have you ever been a member of the Communist party?” On the surface, this is an absurd question. On a more sinister level, perhaps Netflix is getting ready to sue its customers. After the events of the last few weeks, who knows?

No comments: