Monday, June 28, 2010

Another Reason for People to Distrust the Legal Profession

Here is another reason people distrust the legal profession.

As the New York Times recently reported , several law schools, including New York University, Tulane, Georgetown and even Vanderbilt are inflating grades --- essentially to help their graduates in this tough economic environment. I cannot express how reprehensible I find this and how hypocritical it is. The traditional law school model is to make a student’s entire semester grade depend on how he or she does on a final exam. Fair enough, I know I sound like an old guy, but we dealt with it. I suppose that I am lucky that the jobs I have had in law, from my summer clerkships on, were never dependent on my grades. Nevertheless, I would think any employer would be suspicious of a student with an inflated GPA. The general public certainly will be.

No comments: